Monday 2 October 2017

I chose to learn Japanese because I would like to learn more about Japanese culture.  I've always enjoyed learning languages.  Growing up in Hong Kong, I speak Cantonese and English; in elementary school, I learned Putonghua (Mandarin) and when I went to boarding school , I started studying French.  I believe learning the language is the best mean to learn about the culture of the place.  During these four weeks of studying Japanese, I am intrigued about the writing systems of the language and its unique syntax.  I also understand how the Japanese language take different elements from other languages and provide them with new meanings, demonstrating the diversity and multiculturalism in the language and, to a certain extent, in East Asia.  I look forward to studying more Japanese and learning more about the language and the culture.

Image result for sushi

Image result for ginza


Image result for tokyo royal palace garden


4 comments:

  1. It's really great how you're learning a 5th language in your last year of college!! I also find the syntax of Japanese really interesting; hopefully we can learn how to survive in Japan by the end of this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jacky, I do not speak Cantonese but now and then find some elements in Japanese that adapted from Mandarin. I bet there are many in Cantonese too. The pictures you put are typical Japanese. They make me want to visit there again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing that you're finding connections between the languages you learned and the cultures you've lived in. Having spent 2 months in HK this summer, I also find Cantonese really interesting and picked up some phrases (hope to practice it with you sometime haha!) Best of luck with your studies and wish you have a wonderful senior year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear All,
    Let's work hard together in our Japanese class! I hope we can speak Japanese fluently one day!

    ReplyDelete